The Civil War in Burma has indirectly surged the amount of Christian believers in the Karen population. Organizations that support the Karen refugees are mainly made up of Christians. The Karen people see Christians as "the good guys" and so want to adopt the same religion as them. This then spreads quickly through friends and family members.
Mission
The iCross-Cultural Citizen Project is a cultural anthropology course-based project meant to raise critical consciousness about the rich cultural diversity in our indigenous world. Being totally aware of the limitations of being outsiders, we are a group of multidisciplinary undergraduate students who believe in cross-cultural sensitivity and participatory agency aimed at disseminating information about indigenous realities as accurately as possible.
Vision
The iCross-Cultural Citizen Project’s vision is to create an online cross-cultural space for students, professionals, and youth to learn and exchange cross-culturally sensitive information about contemporary indigenous experiences. From that outsider student’s perspective, we will try to theoretically explore possible collaborative solutions to problems that affect the indigenous populations of our planet. Finally, we hope for the future creation of a space where indigenous youth can share their experiences and their realities with us for real mutual collaboration to take place.
Values
We value the maximization of benefits to indigenous peoples and other vulnerable populations in the world.
We value the respect for persons all over the world.
We value the equal treatment of people, and we are against the exploitation of vulnerable groups around the world.
We value collaborative cross-cultural learning and critical thinking.
Monday, June 1, 2015
Religion
The Civil War in Burma has indirectly surged the amount of Christian believers in the Karen population. Organizations that support the Karen refugees are mainly made up of Christians. The Karen people see Christians as "the good guys" and so want to adopt the same religion as them. This then spreads quickly through friends and family members.

Before studying the Karen people, I had no idea how religiously diverse Burma is. I'm glad they have the freedom to choose their own religion and my family is similar in this regard. My family consists of two different religions, so I have had exposure to two very different practices. Personally, I'm not a religious person, so I never quite aligned with either side, but I respect their beliefs. In Burma, there could be villages with households of different religions and they get along just fine. Although they would like to have one religion per household, the Karen people are very relaxed about multiple religions under one roof. I experience this everyday and it has never been an issue.
ReplyDelete